Sunday, October 11, 2009

Post #5


By going in numbered order using the rules presented in chapter 6 I visually critiqued the website for the Rolling Stone newspaper. The link to the site is http://www.rollingstone.com/.
Viewing the website you can tell that rules 1 and 2 are present because the general design principles used for the website are based on research, it includes the principles mentioned in the book, and the user is oriented because they know that they are at the sites main page. For rules 3-8 the site measures up for each because the text is justified appropriately, the style types and colors are limited and there is a color scheme, the page is enhanced with graphics and photos, and superfluous items are not present. The site also covers rules 9-15 because upper and lower case as well as single spacing is used, text lines are short, the structure is simple and the focus is limited to music and news, while providing emphasis where need be and knowing who their audience is and supplying them with the information they need and want. Rules 16-23 are also followed in the sites visual design principles because there is no flashing or vertical text, bulleted lists are used, navigation throughout the website is consistent and several graphic types are incorporated, the site is organized, sizes are proportionate, and placement is visually attractive to the viewer.



Presentation software is a great technological tool for the classroom. Not only does it provide an entertaining way to present information to younger students, it is easy for the instructor to create and the students to follow. Presentation software like PowerPoint allows students to organize facts quickly and remember them better. At the same time I do believe that the amount of presentation software used in the classroom should be limited.


PowerPoint can be used to support student learning in the classroom at each knowledge dimension. I could create a lesson using many multimedia tools to help the students remember, I would sort out information appropriately and in a list or conceptual map to enhance the students understanding, and by conceptualizing my lesson plan before creating the presentation I could use my technology skills to help students apply it themselves. For analyzing the the ideas students can compare facts and work together to create flowcharts as well as evaluate the presentations and create a finished, accurate project that is appealing and logical.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that PowerPoint use should be limited; younger kids also need hands-on activities and interaction with their peers to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that limited PowerPoint use is the way to go. PowerPoints, though they are amusing for a while, grow dull very quickly, especially for younger students. As Caron said, young children need more hands-on activities to learn. Older students, I believe, benefit more from discussion based lessons.

    ReplyDelete